Monday, July 18, 2011

Molly's first big peak!

7/13/11

It can't be. It's only 5:30 and mom is waking ME up.  Role reversal this morning.  I try never to sleep past 6am.   I wonder what's up?  She is all business, coffee, breakfast, my meds, and now she is taking the blue backpack out to the FJ.  We regularly use the red one.  This one is a tad bigger.  Wait one minute here...could it be she is putting on her HIKING boots?   Yippee!!!  This is promising to be a wonderful day.

It's 7:30am and we are off and running.  I settle in for a quick nap to ensure that I have my full quota of energy stored up for this wonderful adventure.  At about 9am we pull into a parking lot and it appears someone is waiting for us.  His name is Tobit and he will accompany us on our hike today.   Mom has been referring to this as my "birthday hike".  You see I turned 9 months yesterday and each month we celebrate my BD.  Yes indeed my very first big mountain climb.  Mt Wachusett peaks out at 2006 feet. Wow!  I ask about a pack for me but mom says I am too young and not to worry,  she will carry plenty of water so I can hydrate frequently.  Temps predicted to be in the low 80's.

We amble up Administration Road and connect to Lower Link until it intersects with Jack Frost and up we go.  That turns out to be one steep little trail.  Mom finally had to take my leash off so she could climb one section and she promptly dropped it.  It landed on the edge of a small precipice.  One move in the wrong direction and I would never see it again.  A nice young woman who was hiking with her wonderful Border Collie and a sweet little girl hiked down and scooped it up for me. Bummer!   She convinced mom to let me try hiking without one and was I one VERY HAPPY PUP!  Being a BIG DOG our motto is "WE DON'T NEED NO STICKIN' LEASHES!"  Up and up we went with numerous water breaks for me and one long cooling down break in some nice shaded grass on the side of the trail.  Once I was rejuvenated we continued to the summit.

Mom and Tobit shared some Tarahumara Chocolate Chia muffins that she had baked  and I enjoyed some doggie treats.  Took a dip in the small pond on the summit and just relaxed.  Some construction was ongoing so the road is closed to traffic. The heavy equipment was a bit noisy but I blocked it all out.  We then hiked to the summit and I got lots of attention from some teens who just fell in love with me.

  
            Here I am with Uncle Tobit. He is very kind and helpful to me.

After a right and proper rest we headed down once again connecting Jack Frost and the High Meadow trail.   There was one section that was a little challenging but before I could bark a woof we were at Echo Lake.   Now that would be a refreshing spot.  I just love getting my big feet wet.
                                 THIS FEELS OH SO GOOD!
         Would I just love to swim out and check that neat log "house".
                                      "I love my mom!"

So we hike the a short distance and we ready ourselves to bid farewell to the mountain. We have hiked for a total of 5 hrs including water breaks, lunch, and rest stops. Covered approximately 3.5 miles. I will always remember my first big mountain climb and I sure do hope there will be many more to come.  Mom said I did really well off leash, no jumping, no running off, and was respectful to other hikers.  She is very proud of me but thinks I am growing up way too fast.

Ever onward and upward!   More to come later...I hope!


2 comments:

  1. It sure was nice hiking with you Molly, have fun in the ADK's in a couple weeks.. you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tobit. She is still "barking" about it and looking forward to Cardigan! Take care. Enjoy that jeep.

    ReplyDelete